Erb & Henry Equip., Inc.,
which began in 1898 under the name of Houck & Henry, was originally located on North Reading Avenue in New Berlinville, PA. It has undergone many changes in its more than 100 year history. The company was started in 1898 by Thomas Houck and Randolph Henry. Since the company began before the age of the automobile, the company specialized in farm implements and was an International Harvester dealer from the company’s first day.
In 1918, with the advent of the automobile, tractors were introduced to the farm industry and the firm sold its first tractor.
In 1921 the business was acquired by William R. Erb, who was an employee of Houck and Henry. Erb managed the business alone for two years until 1923 when a partnership was formed between Erb and Isaac Henry. For 35 years, the firm was known as Erb & Henry. The same firm incorporated under the name in 1958 and continued as Erb & Henry Inc. for 15 more years.
In 1973 the company was purchased by the late Lawrence R. Clauss, Sr., Lawrence R. Clauss, Jr and Sandra R. Moser, and is operated under the name of Erb & Henry Equip., Inc.
Through the years the volume of business has continued to grow. In 1947 the present store was built and the company moved from North Reading Avenue to Henry Avenue. In 1974 with the advent of larger combines and tractors, a warehouse and shop area was built behind the original buildings to handle the larger equipment. With current additions, the company has again improved it’s facilities with the customer’s interest always coming first.
Over the years the cornerstone of the company has been parts and service and a commitment to its customers. This policy has not changed at Erb & Henry. In the late 70’s the company added computers to their office and parts departments to help make both departments more efficient and to serve the needs of their customers even better.
Erb & Henry Equip., Inc. has been an International Harvester Dealership since the day the company was started. In 1984, Tenneco purchased International Harvester and became Case/IH. In 1993 with the Agricultural Industry slowly declining in their area, the company became a Kubota Tractor dealer to better accommodate the changing industry. Erb & Henry remained a Case/IH parts and service dealer but opted to drop the Agricultural line of Equipment. The company has also been a Cub Cadet Dealership since Cub Cadet began producing Lawn Equipment in 1961. The company also sells, Brouwer Turf Equipment, Grasshopper, Befco, Bush Hog, Rhino, Vicon, Provonost, Meyer Snow Equipment as well as many other short lines.
Erb & Henry also has an extensive parts inventory and carries parts for all major equipment lines it sells and services. Since the company was an International Harvester dealer since 1898 the company has one of the largest International and Case/IH parts inventories, including a large number of vintage International parts.
As the company heads into the new millennium, they will continue to operate under the same attitude it has for over 100 years, Parts, Service and Customer Satisfaction.