Kubota Expands Combine Harvester Plant in Thailand — Ramping up Capacity to Expand the Business in the ASEAN Market
January 23, 2017
Kubota Corporation (Head Office: Naniwa-ku, Osaka, Japan; President and Representative Director: Masatoshi Kimata; hereinafter referred to as “Kubota”) has announced its plan to expand the combine harvester plant of its Thai manufacturing/sales subsidiary Siam Kubota Corporation Co., Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as “SKC”). With this capacity ramp-up, Kubota intends to boost its combine harvester business in ASEAN countries.
- Amid the rising need for mechanization in response to the modernization of farming in Thailand, Kubota established a combine harvester plant at SKC in 2009 to begin the production and sale of combine harvesters for Indica rice.
- In 2011, the plant began exporting combine harvesters – mostly high-horsepower, high-durability models – to ASEAN countries.
- Following the subsequent increase in export destinations and the greater use of combine harvesters in such countries, unit production and sales have grown steadily and are expected to increase further. To support its combine harvester business in burgeoning ASEAN markets, including in Myanmar, the Philippines, and Indonesia, Kubota has decided to boost production capacity at SKC’s combine harvester plant.
- Together with this capacity ramp-up, Kubota will advance its drive to further reduce costs and improve productivity to make the plant even more competitive, thereby contributing to the further mechanization of agriculture in ASEAN countries.
2. Overview of the New Plant
|Location||Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate, Chonburi Province, Kingdom of Thailand|
|Scale||Building area 27,500 m2|
|Total investment||820 million baht (2.99 billion yen, at an exchange rate of 3.65 yen to 1 baht)|
|Production item||Combine harvesters (conventional type)|
|Annual production capacity||20,000 units|
|Annual production capacity||October 2017|
Overview of SKC
|Company name||Siam Kubota Corporation Co., Ltd.|
|Establishment||August 2010(Established through the integration of The Siam Kubota Industry Co., Ltd. and Siam Kubota Tractor Co., Ltd.)|
|Location||Navanakorn Industrial Estate, Pathum Thani Province, Kingdom of Thailand|
|Scale||Site area: 78,800 m2, Building area: 29,000 m2(Navanakorn Head Office)|
|Capital||Approx .2.74 billion baht|
|Investment ratio||Kubota: 60%, Siam Cement Group: 40%|
|Business||Manufacturing and sales of tractors, combine harvesters, engines, and power tillers|
|Annual production capacity||Combine harvesters: 13,000 units; Tractors: 95,000 units; Engines: 100,000 units; Power tillers: 100,000 units|
|Number of employees||Approx. 2,900 (as of January 2017)|