Kubota signs contract for Pursat City Water Supply System Expansion Project in Cambodia
August 24, 2021
Kubota Construction Co., Ltd., (a wholly owned subsidiary of Kubota Corporation: Head Office: Naniwa-ku, Osaka, Japan; President: Noriyuki Arakawa; hereinafter, “Company”) is pleased to announce that it has signed a contract for the Project for Expansion of the Water Supply System in Pursat City, Pursat Province, in the western region of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
This project is a part of an ODA Grant* arrangement concluded between the Japanese and Cambodian governments in December 2019.
By making maximum use of its technology and know-how acquired over many years in the construction of water supply systems in Cambodia, the Company will help to provide Pursat City residents with a stable supply of safe potable water and improve their living environment.
- ODA Grants are a form of financial assistance whereby funds are provided to a developing country to support improvement and/or construction of facilities that are necessary for economic and social development.
1. Background and Objectives
- The Cambodian Government is progressing development of the nation’s water supply infrastructure with the goal of expanding water supplied population coverage of urban area from an average of about 35% in 2005 to 100% by 2025. Since 2007, the Japanese Government has been providing assistance, including technical support, for such infrastructure development in Cambodia.
- Expanding water supply facilities is a pressing challenge, given that, as of 2018, water supplied population coverage was only about 38% of the population (approx. 100,000 people) in the water-supply area in Pursat City and that the city’s only water treatment facility has a low supply capacity and a limited network of water distribution piping.
- This project, which will construct a water intake facility, raw water conveyance pipeline, water treatment facility, and water transmission and distribution piping network in Pursat, is expected to expand coverage in the city’s water-supply area to around 68%.
2. Project Outline
|Project name||Project for Expansion of Water Supply System in Pursat|
|Project owner||Ministry of Industry, Science, Technology and Innovation (MISTI), Kingdom of Cambodia|
|Project term||25 months|
|Overview of work||Facilities||
|Materials procurement||water quality analysis equipment, and materials and equipment for connecting water supply pipes|
|Contract value||1.99 billion yen|