Consortium Led by Kubota Construction Wins Contract for the Project for Expansion of Water Supply System in Ta Khmau, Cambodia
March 23, 2022
A consortium led by Kubota Construction Co., Ltd. (a wholly owned subsidiary of Kubota Corporation; Head Office: Naniwa-ku, Osaka, Japan; President and Representative Director: Mutsuo Uchida; hereinafter “Kubota Construction”) has won the contract to undertake the Project for Expansion of Water Supply System in Ta Khmau, a city in Kandal Province in the Kingdom of Cambodia.
This project is part of the Grant Aid with Operation and Maintenance*1 established under an agreement between the Japanese and Cambodian governments signed in May 2020. It involves designing, building, and operating a new water treatment plant in the city of Ta Khmau. Kubota Construction and its consortium partners will be contributing to the reliable supply of safe water in Cambodia through construction, operation, maintenance, and management of water supply facilities leveraging Japan’s high standards of infrastructure technology.
1. Background and Objectives
- Ta Khmau is the capital city of Kandal Province, which lies directly to the south of the national capital Phnom Penh. Its water is sourced from a water treatment plant in Phnom Penh, but with growing population demand for water in both cities is increasing rapidly, and expansion of supply capacity has become an urgent priority. To address this issue, the consortium will construct a new water treatment plant in Ta Khmau under this project to boost supply capacity as well as to reduce the strain on the existing plant, thus ensuring a stable supply of water in both Phnom Penh and Ta Khmau long into the future.
- Within this project, Kubota Construction will be responsible for procurement and construction related to the civil engineering and construction works, as well as procurement of raw water intake facilities and distribution pumps.
- The project will be conducted under the Japanese government’s Grant Aid with Operation and Maintenance scheme, which utilizes capital and technology from Japan’s private sector in order to enable more efficient construction, operation, maintenance, and management of facilities.
2. Project Outline
|Project name||The Project for Expansion of Water Supply System in Ta Khmau|
|Client||Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority (PPWSA), the Kingdom of Cambodia|
|Consortium members||Kubota Construction Co., Ltd. (leader)
Kobelco Eco-Solutions Co., Ltd.
Kitakyushu Water Service Co., Ltd.
CTI Engineering International Co., Ltd.
TEC International Co., Ltd.
|Project term||Design/Construction: Approx. 33 months
Operation: 10 years*2
|Overview of work||Design and construction of the following facilities:
|Contract value||2.88 billion yen|
- *1.This scheme provides Overseas Development Assistance grants for comprehensive public works projects encompassing construction, operation, maintenance, and management of facilities with the involvement of private sector companies. Its aims are to promote the obtainment of operation and maintenance rights by Japanese companies, and to mobilize outstanding Japanese technology and knowhow in development projects in developing countries.
- *2.Kobelco Eco-Solutions Co., Ltd. will lead in operation and maintenance.